Hi, Dave here. Happy new year! This is a quick post to wrap up my coverage of the pose for my Warhound.
Legs layout and assembly.
I’m not going to lie: this sucked. If I ever decide to do more large, heavy models like this, I’m going to invest in extra clamps and arms to hold things like torsos steady while I work on the leg pose.
I started with a rough idea of the pose and pinned the right foot (no toes at this point) to the stand which is a 12″wooden plate from Michaels craft store. For all the leg work I used 1/8″ brass rod (except in the hips where I ran a second 1/16 rod to stop the hips spinning), and JB Weld as my adhesive for load bearing joints.
Then it’s on to posing and pinning all the joints. I drill and pin everything first, so I can dry fit and check the pose. often I’ll end up filling the holes with resin and re-drilling to tweak the joint angles until I’m happy with them. I run rod perpendicular the joint axis of rotation rather than along it to prevent joints spinning.
The trick I use for adding the pins is to eyeball the axis along which I need to run the brass rod, drill the hole in the “female” side of the joint and glue in the pre-cut brass rod with CA Glue. Then I put a dab of black paint on the end of the rod and position the “male” joint so the rod touches where I need to drill and leaves a nice black dot. Then I drill that along the same axis and the joint is ready for dry fitting.
I worked my way up from the right foot, over the hips and down the left, checking my posing all the way, and not gluing any joints except the toes.
Once everything is lined up how I want it, I secure the joints using JB Weld over a couple of evenings. Here’s the pinning scheme:
And that’s a wrap for the legs. Other than needing an extra pair of hands this is not too complicated, just fiddly and time-consuming.
Thanks for reading!